Wednesday, September 28, 2005

My Best 5-card Draw Hand

I haven't written in a while, so here goes.  Several months ago, I was invited to a home game by one of my old college students.

It's one of those games where dealer chooses the game.  There's about 6 of us playing that night for low stakes cash.

The guy on my left is the dealer and chooses 5-card draw.  The cards are dealt and I am dealt a 9-high straight right off the bat.  This is where position gives you the greatest advantage.

Before my turn to act, there is a bet and a raise.  I decided to call the raise hoping the original bettor reraises and he does.  It's called to me and I then reraise to cap the pot.  I'm in a hand now with 3 of the 6 remaining players.  The three players ask for standard drawing amounts, 2 or 3 cards, except 1 who asks for 1 card.

It's now my turn, so I say, "I'm going to scare the table, I do not need any cards."  I did this for two reasons, I want to let the table know that I have a great hand.  The second and real reason was because of the guy who asked for only one card.  He's obviously on a straight or flush draw.  If he hits the flush, I need to know that before I bet.

The table is obviously taken aback by what I said.  Now it's important see what happens.  If the guy who needed one card bets strong, I know I'm beat.  Fortunately I doesn't.  It's called to me and I bet the max bet which is a dollar.  I know that two of these players are elephant and will pay me off.

I win the pot and now I have a story to tell my kids.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For web site design new zealand related stuff, don't visit my blog,. !!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I have been blog surfing for the latest information on a ppc search engine management placement and somehow I ended up on your blog. Obviously I must have made a wrong turning somewhere, but I have to say that I’m certainly glad that I did! Would you mind if I bookmark you perhaps?

Anonymous said...

Hello, I think your site might be having browser compatibility issues.
When I look at your website in Opera, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.
I just wanted to give you a quick heads up!
Other then that, amazing blog!

my site - novoline automaten knacken