Monday, May 01, 2006

My Pechanga Bad Beat

I was actually prepped for this bad beat a week before.

I'm in the first event of the Pechanga Open and we're at the second big break.  I have 6000 in chips and the blinds are 200/400.  My M is at 10 so I'm looking to double up.

My table is broken up and I move to a brand new table of somewhat friendly people.  I sit down and immediately toss in a junk hand.

The second hand puts me eight places from the button and I am dealt pocket Kings.  I come with for a standard raise of 1200.  I would normally go all in, but I need action.

Two seat down, the short stack goes all in with his 5500 in chips.  It all folds to me and I call.

My opponent flips over A-Qo. The flop comes K-8-4.  Great I have trips.  The problem is that all three cards are hearts and my opponent has the Ah.  The turn comes another heart. No I need the board to pair for the boat, but alas another heart.  I have a flush, but my opponent has the nut flush.

I almost wished an ace come on board.

I now have 500 in chips and I can barely cover the big blind.  I have to find a spot to go all-in.

Three hands later, I'm dealt K-Q suited.  I made a huge motion and I push my 5 chips into the middle.  Everyone folds to the big blind, who decides that for only 100 in chips he can gamble.  He flips over 10-4 offsuit.  The flop comes a 10 and I'm done.

It's tough when the blinds are doubling every half hour.  Just when you feel like you're making progress the blinds go up and your immediately shortstacked again.

Next time…The lady at the table.

No comments: