Thursday, November 10, 2005

Playing the Aggressive Player

Every night, I'll play a few rings games and if I do well, I'll play a SNG with my winnings.  Last night was no different.  I won about $20 on a $.50/$1 table. I got lucky, I made two double-belly gut shot straights and won a good sized pot.

I decide to play the next $5 No-Limit SNG at Full Tilt.  I'm starting to play a new strategy of playing a little passive.  I mentioned this before, but I hate being out of position and the only way to get position is to use the check raise.  The danger in this method is that you give your opponents first rights to a pot.  At the other hand, you can make it work for you, as I'll describe here.

Early in the tournament, I'm testing my opponents.  I'm on the button and its checked to me.  I decide to take a shot at stealing the blinds, my player to my left (Seat 6) immediately comes over-the-top to challenge me and I let it go.  The next time, I limp in and Seat 6 overbets to steal the pot again.  Note to self - Seat 6 attacks at weakness.

Seat 3 to my right decide that when they are in late position, they will steal blinds and for three rounds, I'm folding on the blinds.

===================================

I hate being pushed around, but I can't beat a bluff with bad cards.  Needless to say I'm playing passive, yet solid poker. Things weren't going well until this hand.

I'm dealt Pocket Aces on the big blind.  Everyone limps into the pots and it's called to me.  Pros will tell you not to play Aces passively, but I decide at the last minute to check in early position. 

The flop comes Ace-x-x.  I have trip aces. Everyone checks to Seat 2, who bets the pot.  It comes to me, I call and everyone else folds.  The turn pulls another rag.  I check and Seat 2 bets the pot again.  He's committed about half his remaining stack.  I double his raise.  He then comes all-in and I call.  He has Ace-8 making two pair on the turn.  I have trips and Seat 2 is out.

===================================

What did I accomplish?  This fantastic play sent a message to the entire table.  Beware of the limper…that's me.  Now when I'm playing Seat 6, and I limp in with bad cards, Seat 6 won't raise me to steal.  When I attempt to steal the blinds from Seat 6, she won't defend as often.

When Seat 3 tries to steal my blinds, I would come over the top with raise and now Seat 3 has gives up.

I was in a better position to bluff and steal.


No comments: