Monday, October 31, 2005

Beating Pot Limit Omaha High/Low

It was late and I wanted to play a fast SNG.  I went to Full Tilt Poker and saw a Pot Limit Omaha Hi/Lo game about to start so I entered.

Like any game of Poker, the key to winning Omaha, you need to play tight up front.  In the early rounds, I will only play with four cards that can work together somehow, straights, flushes, pairs, and aces.

This game was a little unusual. In the first hand there were three players all-in and at the end there was one player with a 3-to-1 chip advantage on everyone else.  And this player used her large chip stack effectively. She played every hand and if no one played aggressive, she bet the pot to steal it.

This player was on my direct right.  This was the best position for me.  The reason was that if this player bet the pot, I had an easy decision to fold my marginal hand without losing any chips.  I soon began to what the rest of the table drop out like flies.  When the table got to three players, I had the same amount of chips I started with.

I knew I had to act.  How do you beat the dominant chip leader?  The chip leader was playing loose, so you play against the loose player.  I always let this player lead out.  If I liked my hand I limped.  If I didn't like my hand I folded.  Every time I had to act first post-flop, my move was checking.

Forgive me for not giving any details, but I can't remember exact hands in Omaha.  Basically, anytime I flopped a good hand, I checked.  The chip leader would bet the pot and then I'd raise to the new pot size.  I'd either win or split the pot.  My Passive Aggressive style accomplished one important thing.  The chip leader was afraid of my checks.  She was always afraid that I was slow playing.

Here's an example.  I had A-J-x-x. The flop came A-J-J.  I was first to act and I checked. On the turn, nothing, I check, she checks.  On the river, I check, she bets pot, I come over the top and win.

The benefit for being feared at the table was that I would get free cards in early position.  If I'm the first to act post flop, I check and she checks.  When you give your opponent free cards in Omaha, you'll lose, because you're giving your opponent an opportunity to beat you with anything.

Needless to say, I won this SNG.

No comments: