Friday, October 14, 2005

Defeated at $2/$4

I ventured again into the world of $2/$4 online Hold'em.  Crushed once again.  I started with $120 and ended with $40.

I'm following strictly.  Howard Lederer's Limit Hold'em chart.  I started by losing about $10, then $20 and then moved my way up to $130.  The great fluctuations occurred with good solid aggressive play.

My upward swing was due to aggressiveness with good hand.  I was raising any time I hand a preflop qualifying hand.  In fact, my table began to fear me.  I was getting away with picking up blinds having one caller and getting them to fold when the flop missed both of us.

The downward spins occurred when my somewhat strong hand was beaten by a dominant hand.

For example.  I have Queen, Jack.  I flop top pair and begin to play it aggressively.  Unfortunately my two other opponents have pocket Kings and pocket Aces.  I lose.  As I should, but I didn't dump a lot of money into it.

I am then dealt a fairly good hands preflop. Pocket tens, pocket queens, Ace-rag suited with good draws that don't work out.  This all occurred within a two rounds of blinds and I couldn't make these hands hold up. Generally I don't mind losing a good hand once in a while, but six times I got descent starting hands in the correct position only to be cracked.

Frustrating.  That's poker I guess, but why does this happen when I'm trying to move up?

Back to $1/$2 until I build my bankroll back to normal.

No comments: