Thursday, October 13, 2005

I Love Low Limit Professionals

Have you ever been in this situation?

You're at a low limit table and you make a fairly loose play to win the pot. Then some "professional" has to go on about how you got lucky and they feel they need to critique your play for the next three hands.

That happened to me yesterday. I really ticked a guy off and it was beautiful.

I just sat down at a $1/$2 table at Full Tilt Poker (http://www.fulltiltpoker.com/?aff=1956) and I'm in seat 7.  When you sit down at a table you're asked if you want to post the small blind.  Since I'd have to wait three hands for the big blind, I decide to post my dollar.

I'm dealt 10-4 offsuit.  It's folded to me and I check, since I'm already in the hand.  Seat 6 folds. Seat 9 raises. The button calls as does the small blind and big blind.  I decide to call this raise, so maybe I'll get lucky.

The flop comes Queen-10-7 rainbow.  The blinds check, I check and seat 9 bets.  One caller and everyone folds to me and I call the bet.

Fourth street brings me a 4 and now I have two pair.  I check, seat 9 bets, knocking out the last player and I reraise and I'm called.  The river is junk.  I bet and I am called with Pocket Kings and I win with two pair. This really ticks off seat 9. I win about $10

Of course, I had to show that I was playing with a lousy 10-4 offsuit.

Following this hand, here's how the chat proceeds:

Seat 9: 10-7 offsuit???
Humble Guy (me): I'm crazy.
Seat 9: You're stupid.
Humble Guy: Maniac.
Seat 9: Moron. You must lose a lot of money playing this way.
Humble Guy: There's this concept called pot odds.
Humble Guy: I was getting 8-to-1 odds preflop calling with two live cards. Would you call with those odds?
Seat 9: Shut up, retard.
Humble Guy: Hit and run baby.
Humble Guy has left the table.

I'll admit not very Humble, but I had fun.  I won about $10 and that paid for my $5 No-Limit SNG, which I won and earned another $18. Then I played Razz and won another $10.

Normally I wouldn't hit and run, but I really wanted to play a tournament. And as Barry Greenstein states in his book, Ace on the River, "You should try to win money and let the losers win the arguments." I wasn't in the mood to battle a person on tilt, so I took his money and left.

No comments: