Wednesday, February 18, 2009

My Great Trap: Taking Down the Bully

I have to gloat a little. I was playing a $3 Knock-Out SNG on Full Tilt. I had just doubled up when I shoved a middle position raise with pocket Kings and was called by Ace-9.  I was the chip leader at my table and then arriving on my immediate left was the player, peedplyr.

This person was playing a little tight, but whenever I would raise, peedplyr was smooth calling behind me. He would then smooth call my raises on the flop and turn, and then blast me on the river. I could have gambled against the guy and shove, but instead I chose to preserve my big stack.  I felt like this guy was intentionally picking on me since he was not playing this way against anyone else.

That is until this hand…

  1. I’m in the big blind and I’m dealt 7-6.
  2. peedplyr limps under the gun
  3. It folds around to me (small blind folds). I check. Pot is 800.
  4. Flop – 7-7-4.
  5. I flop trips. I decide to play it weak by making a half-pot size bet.
  6. I bet 400.
  7. peedplyr min raises me to 800.
  8. I min raise to 1,200. I min raise because I want it to look like I’m making a lame attempt to control the pot.
  9. peedplyr calls.
  10. Turn – Ace.
  11. I check. The ace is a great card for two reasons. I hope he has an ace and possibly flopped two pair or he decides to steal. My check on the turn was designed to tell him that I took my shot, but the ace scares me and I’m giving up.
  12. peedplyr shoves all-in.
  13. I instacall and show my trips.
  14. peedplyr shows K-Q and is drawing dead.
  15. River – 7 for quads.
  16. peedplyr is out and I’m in first place.

 

Sweet vindication. This trap made me feel real good. I love taking down bullies.

No comments: